Electrical safety compliance in caravan parks – Static caravan electrical test certificate

Electric Panel In Camping

If you’re a manager or director in charge of a camping and caravan site, as the duty holder, it’s your legal responsibility to ensure that the site is safe by maintaining the electrics in good working order, with regular inspections.

Under The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 “It shall be the duty of every employer to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his (and her) employees.”

Not only are all employers liable for the health and safety of their employees, but they must also protect any members of the public accessing, using or in contact with their business and premises.

In addition to this legislation, the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 are made under The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and relate specifically to the electrical systems in the workplace.

The reason for the law is simply to keep people safe.

To ensure your compliance you require an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)

What’s involved in an EICR?

The electrician will both visually inspect the system and carry out a series of tests on the “hard wired” installation. Ultimately these checks will determine whether or not the installation or any part of it are safe for continued use.

For more information on EICRs please visit our FAQ page.

How often should an EICR be carried out at a caravan and camp site?

An EICR should be carried out on Caravan and Camp Sites every year, and on caravans and static homes every 3 years.

Why use Black Pear Electrical to carry out our Inspections.

Because we are testing and inspecting experts. A new pair of eyes can sometimes see more. You may well have a site electrician who carries out your daily electrical maintenance. We are more than happy to work alongside them and provide them with the report of an repairs that may be required however make sure they provide you with an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) or a Minor Works Certificate (MW) as evidence that the faults have been fixed. Again, it’s important to keep these documents as evidence.

What you need to do:

Check your records, was your last test carried out within the year?

Call us on 01905 700 490 for further information.

Social Sharing